Senior Professional Engineer – Amended
A resume is required. You must attach a resume to your application.
As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose-serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
The Senior Professional Engineer will perform a variety of high-level professional engineering tasks in coordinating major tasks for the Public Works Department.
This position is available in Traffic and Parking Services Division - Parking Infrastructure Group
Work Location: This position currently works on-site only.
This position has been amended to close on Sunday, May 21st.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform research and analysis of structures, large systems, and equipment within the municipal parking facilities and makes recommendations for repair and/or replacement.
- Provide professional engineering expertise to construction projects and/or repair efforts.
- Manage all aspects of projects, including budget, scope, rationale, definition, allocation of resources, cost management, procurement and reporting.
- Manage a cost center within the Public Works Department, preparing and administering a budget and supervising staff assigned to the unit.
- Oversee the preparation of detailed plans and specifications for construction projects.
- Monitor job costs and may adjust project work to meet budget requirements.
- Take responsibility for staffing and supervising work crews engaged in construction and repair work.
- Coordinate internal construction, maintenance, inspection, permitting, and work with other divisions of the Public Works Department, Parking Operator, consultants, vendors and private utilities.
- May act in the capacity of a general foreman as required on construction and repair projects.
- May take lead role in public relations effort regarding some activities occurring in the Public Works Department.
- Perform related high level professional engineering and administrative duties as assigned.
- Assistant Parking System Manager in Development and Management of Five Year Capital Improvement Program.
- Provide technical support to other Divisions.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering.
Minimum Experience: Five years experience performing engineering work, including one year experience as a Registered Professional Engineer.
License/Certifications: Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Minnesota.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position may be considered.
Selection Process: The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
Background Check: The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Union Representation: This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Engineers Unit. For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit:
Eligible List Statement: The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire one month after it has been established.
Interview Selection: The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of City Government and departmental principles, policies and practices.
• Considerable knowledge of the design techniques and engineering principles, practices and their applications.
• Knowledge of Federal, State and City Ordinances and States that apply to the area assigned.
• Knowledge of City Government and departmental principles, policies and practices.
• Knowledge of budgeting, report preparation and administrative procedures.
• Knowledge of the bidding process, procurement procedures, contract management and contract administration.
• Knowledge of computer usage, software and applications.
• Ability to organize and supervise subordinate staff.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Good analytical skills.
• Good interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
Our employees enjoy competitive salaries and generous benefits. We pride ourselves on a comprehensive benefits program that supports employees' health and financial well-being.
Programs, resources, and benefit eligibility varies based on position, average hours worked, location and length of service. For detailed benefits information, pleasevisit the benefits page .
New 12 weeks of paid Parental Leave.
City employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave in the event of a birth or placement for adoption of a child.
Eligibility for benefits begins the first of the month following employment date. The City of Minneapolis offers eligible employees one plan design with a choice of six provider networks, allowing you to select the best option for you. Available plans include Medica Choice Passport, Medica Elect, VantagePlus with Medica, Park Nicollet First with Medica, Ridgeview Community Network powered by Medica, and Clear Value with Medica.
The City of Minneapolis offers dental insurance through Delta Dental of Minnesota and pays 100% of the monthly premium for eligible employees.
Paid time off
Our generous leave package includes vacation, holidays and paid sick leave, which gives employees the opportunity to enhance their quality of life outside work. Amounts and accrual rates are based on years of experience and collective bargaining agreements .
City employees earn a pension and may choose to participate in additional retirement savings programs.
- Pension: The City of Minneapolis participates in the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). Employees and the City both contribute a percentage of your pay to fund future benefits.
- Deferred compensation : Employees may choose to participate in pre-tax or after-tax savings plans through the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
Eligible City employees may choose to participate in the following transportation programs:
- Metropass: The Metropass program allows eligible employees to enroll in a pass for unlimited bus or light rail rides at a discounted price.
- Parking or Van Pool: The City of Minneapolis Transportation Benefits Plan gives you options to pay certain commuting costs--such as qualified parking and van pool expenses--with pre-tax dollars
Learning and development
To engage and develop employees, the City of Minneapolis offers classes in leadership, cultural agility, change management and more. Additionally, educational discounts at Augsburg University, Hamline University and St. Mary's University of Minnesota are available to City employees.
Employees can also take advantage of optional life insurance, flexible spending accounts, the Employee Assistance Program , technology discounts and more.
Closing Date/Time: 5/21/2023 11:59 PM Central