Senior Network Engineer (Inf Syst Tech VI – Generalist) – Open Continuous
This is an open continuous recruitment: Open Continuous recruitments have multiple review periods (outlined below) and may remain open for three (3) to six (6) months.
The Senior Network Engineer: Information Systems Technical Analyst (ISTA) VI is a strategic team member within the Enterprise Network Team. You will leverage your network engineering background to support emergency service, multiple data centers, and a wide-area network that extends beyond the City's boundaries.
The enterprise network team is looking for a teammate who understands enough of our in-place technologies to hit the ground running and can come up to speed quickly on our technologies and architecture. Our ideal candidate will have some senior network design experience and wants to continue expanding their knowledge and experience.
We believe the City of Portland is a fantastic place to be a network engineer due to the variety of duties and technologies, the feeling of making a difference in our local community, and the opportunities to grow yourself professionally.
The successful candidate must pass a comprehensive police background investigation to have their employment retained.
Team Culture:The network team loves learning new things and sharing knowledge with other team members. We're fun, work hard during the day, and promote a healthy work-life balance. We work together to design, implement, troubleshoot, and improve the City of Portland's network and services. The team prioritizes intra-team communication, collaboration, and information sharing.
As a Senior Network Engineer, you will:
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot our spine/leaf datacenters, multiple internet providers, and wide area network.
- Manage infrastructure services such as DHCP, DNS, and NTP, load balancers, remote access solutions, and more
- Troubleshoot application performance, including by analyzing packet captures using a centralized data center packet capture tool.
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot secure network environments, including next-gen firewalls
- Contribute as a senior team member and provide mentorship to junior employees.
- Manage or lead multiple projects simultaneously and deliver solutions that benefit the entire City of Portland
- Implement existing mandates of compliance including, but not limited to, the Payment Card Industry (PCI-DSS), Personal Identifiable Information (PII), Federal Tax Information (FTI), Criminal Justice Information Security (CJIS), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Oregon Identity Theft Protection Act, CPNI, and City of Portland Administrative Rules.
This classification is represented by the Professional Technical Employees, Local 17 (PROTEC 17) To view this labor agreement, please click here .
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, healthcare flexible and/or dependent care spending accounts, fertility counseling and resources, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), including contributions to the PERS IAP plan paid by employer. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits, please click here.
Work LocationMany positions within the City are designated as hybrid, most hybrid employees will be expected to perform at least half of their work in-person. City Council approved a human resources administrative rule in January 2023, HRAR - 4.045, requiring employees, including those who are fully remote and hybrid, to perform work within Oregon or Washington. For more information, click here.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their cover letter and resume how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following required minimum qualifications:
- Advanced experience with Cisco IOS and deploying Cisco routers and switches.
- Experience designing, implementing, and/or troubleshooting an OSPF network.
- Experience with several of the following: spine/leaf data center architecture, Arista switches, Cisco DNAC, VXLAN, F5 load balancers, Linux, BGP, network automation, network monitoring.
- Experience with one of more of the following security related tools or services: SSL-VPN, decrypting TLS traffic, content filtering, site-to-site VPNs, next-gen firewalls
- Experience leading or coordinating network related projects of high complexity, risk, visibility, or impact. Some examples include projects such as firewall or network device installations, bandwidth upgrades, routing protocol migrations, network refreshes, or securing new or existing applications behind firewalls.
Applicants must also possess:
- Successfully pass a comprehensive police background investigation.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting closes: 12/1/2023
- Applications Reviewed: Approximately every two weeks starting week of September 18, 2023
- Eligible List/Notices Generated: approximately one week after applications are reviewed.
- Selection process: periodically throughout this recruitment.
- Job Offer: TBD
This is an open continuous recruitment: Open Continuous recruitments have multiple review periods and can be opened for up to 6 months.
- If you apply and are notified you meet minimum qualifications/placed on the eligible list, please do not reapply . Any applications received after being placed on the eligible list will not be reviewed and will be rejected as a duplicate application.
- If you apply and are notified you do not meet qualifications and the recruitment is still open , you may reapply and update your materials.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and professional resume online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis : Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement or you are invited to attend the Question and Answers session. If you prefer to attend a virtual class, they are also available once a month.
Bureau of Human Resources
Tami Larison, Senior Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 12/1/2023 11:59 PM Pacific