Senior Engineering Technician
Full-time position available with the Water Department, Permitting & Development Division located at 4800 E. 63rd St.
Salary Range: $27.25-$40.88/hour
Normal Work Days/Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. *Hybrid telework schedule available after 6 month probationary period.
Application Deadline Date: October 2, 2023
- Performs routine coordination work for the Water Main Extension and Relocation Program, detailed in City Code Chapter 78 Article II, Divisions 2 and 3.
- Applies city ordinances, state and federal regulations, specifications and related standards to projects.
- Documents plan submissions and plan reviews in the Water Main Extension Database and requests drawing and project numbers.
- Assists with work flow improvements in the EnerGov online management system.
- Assists with design reviews, as well as computational duties in preparation of plans, specifications and estimates for projects.
- Reviews plans and related documents for new water main extensions and relocations.
- Edits and modifies program technical documents including: "Rules and Regulations for Water Main Extensions and Relocations" and "Standards and specifications for Water Main Extensions and Relocations".
- Coordinates and communicates with multiple stakeholders and the public.
- Assists with representing the WSD on various development related committees.
- Participates on the WSD Standards Committee and serves as one of the WSD representatives on the Development Review Committee provided for by Chapter 88-605-2 of City Code.
- Monitors Council and Council Committee meetings to remain informed concerning issues associated with the Water Main Extension and Relocation Program and related committees.
REQUIRES high school graduation and 7 years of related and increasingly responsible experience in engineering drawing, mapping, automated mapping, geographical information systems (GIS) and equipment or computer aided drafting and design (CADD), engineering, land survey, construction inspection and related field; OR high school graduation and 5 years of experience in engineering drawing, mapping, automated mapping, geographical information systems (GIS) and equipment or computer aided drafting and design (CADD), engineering, land survey, construction inspection and possession of a Level II Engineering Technology Certification in any Civil, Electrical or Mechanical discipline as issued by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) or "Land Surveyor in Training" as issued by the Missouri Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors, and Professional Landscape Architects; OR high school graduation and possession of the Level III Certification as "Engineering Technician (ET)" as issued by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) or a Registered Land Surveyor's License as issued by the Missouri Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors, and Professional Landscape Architects. Must possess a valid state-issued driver's license in accordance with the City of KCMO policies. If moving from a non-safety-sensitive position, must pass a pre-employment drug screen and post-offer physical examination as prescribed by the City. Preference given to applicants with water, water distribution and/or sewer design and/or construction experience, as well as experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access.
URGENT!!! CRITICAL RECRUITMENT INFORMATION
QUESTIONS REGARDING AVIATION POSITIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE AVIATION DEPARTMENT AT 816-243-3010.
Applications and/or resumes are evaluated on the information received by the application deadline. Please ensure that your application or resume clearly demonstrates how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying, this includes providing all relevant educational dates and a detailed description of relevant work experience, including months/years of employment. Applications and/or resumes may not be considered if information is incomplete.
In order for a resume to be used in lieu of an application the resume must have been submitted online via the City's Applicant Tracking System.
Positions requiring a high school diploma/GED certificate must be obtained from a school/program accredited by the Department of Education and recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education.
The minimum education requirement for positions that allow for experience equivalency for an accredited degree is a high school diploma. Unless otherwise specified, an accredited degree must be obtained from a college or university listed with the U.S. Department of Education and recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education.
For positions with a salary grade of EX6 or higher that require an accredited degree, qualifying professional experience must be obtained AFTER the accredited degree is obtained.
Successful completion of a pre-employment criminal history/background check is required for all positions. Some positions require a post offer drug screen and/or physical.
If appointed, non-residents must obtain residency inside Kansas City, Missouri's city limits within nine months.
The City of KCMO is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The City is committed to providing a workplace environment for its employees and citizens free from discrimination based on race, color, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information, please see our EEO Policy
The City of KCMO is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 816-513-1908 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .
If claiming military veterans' preference points, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 or a DD-256 (for reservists). To claim veterans' points you must have served 180 days of regular active duty service and be discharged or released under honorable conditions during peacetimes or 90 days of active duty service, one (1) day during "wartime" and a last discharge or release under honorable conditions. (DOD) 38 U.S. Code • 4211).