Plan Check Engineer
The City of Manhattan Beach is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable Plan Check Engineer with great customer service skills to join the Community Development Department to conduct residential and commercial plan checks.
Under general supervision, check building plans for residential, commercial, and other structures to ensure compliance with building, mechanical, energy, green, electrical and plumbing codes, local ordinances, and State and Federal laws; conduct field inspections; and do related work as required.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the class.
- Inspects plans and analyses of structures for compliance with various codes.
- Works at the permit counter and responds to questions related to building codes.
- Interprets and explains requirements and restrictions relative to building codes, ordinances, regulations, policies, and procedures to architects, engineers, contractors and home owners.
- Provides technical assistance and coordinates plan check activities with other City departments, external engineers, architects, contractors, outside agencies, and the public.
- Responds to verbal and written inquires.
- Explains codes and ordinance provisions to architects or engineers used in the design phase of such structures.
- Prepares comprehensive corrections lists, handouts, and forms.
- Maintains records and prepares reports and correspondence.
- May be required to work shifts, weekends and/or holidays.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in civil or architectural engineering AND a minimum of two (2) years of building/structure plan check experience.
- Municipal building/structure plan check experience is highly desirable.
- Must possess a valid California driver's license at time of employment.
- International Conference of Building Officials Certification or other recognized Plan Examiner Certification is desirable.
- State of California registration as a Professional Civil Engineer or licensed Architect with the California Architects Board is highly desirable.
- In accordance with California Government Code Section 3100, City of Manhattan Beach employees, in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to protect the health, safety, lives, and property of the people of the State.
California Code of Regulations - Title 24; principles, practices, and methods of architectural, structural, electrical, energy, green, and mechanical engineering and related disciplines; effective customer service techniques; and building construction procedures, practices, methods, and materials.
Make engineering computations and analyses to check building construction design; write comprehensive reports and recommendations; read and interpret plans and specifications; perform field inspections of all phases of building construction and identify violations of codes or ordinances; and be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with building owners, contractors, other governmental agencies, other employees, and the general public.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. Applicants are encouraged to apply early. This position may close at any time without notice.
All applicants will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this job announcement. Candidates will be reviewed and only those candidates determined to be most qualified on the basis of experience, training and education, as submitted, will be invited to participate further in the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job announcement does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. The selection process may be changed as deemed necessary by the City Human Resources Department.
The selection process will consist of the following component and weight: Oral Interview (100%)
If you need special assistance in the recruitment process please contact the Human Resources Department at (310) 802-5258.
NOTE: A drug test may be administered as part of the pre-employment medical exam. The provisions of this brochure do not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
The City of Manhattan Beach offers a generous benefit package to fulll-time and eligible employees including PERS medical plans, dental, vision, long-term and short-term disability, tuition reimbursement, and many more.
To see detailed information about Teamsters bargaining unit benefits, please visit our benefit page on City official website.
Part-time employees are enrolled in PARS (Public Alternate Retirement System). All part-time and seasonal employees contribute 7.5% each pay period on pre-tax basis. If an employee reaches 1,000 hours within a fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th), or are already a CalPERS member, then they are enrolled in CalPERS (Public Employees Retirement System).
The City complies with California Labor Code 245-249 by providing paid sick leave for part-time hourly employees accordingly.
The City of Manhattan Beach does not provide medical/dental/vision benefits to part-time employees. Eligible employees enrolled in CalPERS may opt in to a CalPERS medical plan.