OMS-GIS Applications/Systems Engineer
Join our team as an OMS-GIS Applications Systems Engineer with Tacoma Public Utility (TPU). TPU's Utility Technology Services (UTS) section is accepting applications for our next OMS-GIS Application/Systems Engineer.
This position is an exciting opportunity to immerse yourself in large-scale technology infrastructure projects, collaborating closely with utility work groups throughout the organization to shape and strengthen a variety of critical systems and operational technology applications.
Your responsibilities will encompass maintaining and creating software requirements, architecting system diagrams, generating insightful reports, creation of visual documentation that details technical concepts, all while adhering to industry-standard procedures, technology, and best practices. You'll find yourself at the heart of innovation, contributing to the continued success and evolution of our utility systems.
The Applications and Systems Engineer will also be responsible for supporting both Tacoma Power's Outage Management System (OMS) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) portfolio of operational technology applications. This involves troubleshooting system issues, configuring applications, and understanding data flows between multiple integrated systems such as: OMS, AMI, SAP, AVL, GIS. This position will also meticulously track all service level agreements with business teams and vendors to ensure high levels of reliability and performance. Assistance in managing data configurations, application configurations, database configurations as well as integrations with other information systems such as Sensus and SAP is also a critical part of this role. Additionally. your expertise will be vital in the creation of a comprehensive set of system monitoring tools that helps to ensure reliability 24/7/365.
- Create system monitoring dashboards, tools and reports as needed.
- Performs monthly patch assessment by gathering vendor information, generating configuration analysis, and generating spreadsheet for monthly update schedule.
- Performs installation and testing of patches in a development/test environment.
- Develops patch implementation plans.
- Deploys and configures patches; reconciles updates in production environments; ensures that all updates have been installed; documents compliance evidence.
- Maintains systems environments including password resets access management and resolving operational issues.
- Participates in technical requirements development and procurement processes for projects.
- Plans and coordinates testing processes, training, and resources for end users.
- Implementation of "hot" fixes/enhancements provided by OMS and GIS vendors.
- Serves in on-call rotation that provides after-hours support for the OMS/GIS systems.
- Perform training for OMS/GIS platform end users
- Configure, document, and deliver operational technology solutions for utility work groups.
- Facilitates and coordinates department technology projects including vendor coordination, process improvements, contract administration and project resource monitoring.
- Provides technical expertise and consulting to department users on system performance usage, report development progress and system enhancements/improvements.
- Convenes and facilitates meetings.
- Serves as a liaison to the City's enterprise information technology functions.
- Works with TPU department users to identify business issues and recommend technology solutions.
- Participate on city-wide or cross-departmental technology committees.
- First response to system failures through participation in on call rotation in a 24x7 data center environment.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or directly related field (such as computer science, information systems, geography, or geographic information systems).
2 years of systems administration experience.
*Equivalency: 1 year of experience = 1 year of education
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation Critical Infrastructure Protection certification (NECC-CIP) within 6 months of hire
- Washington State Driver's License
- 2 years of GIS systems administration experience.
- Using ArcGIS Server to create web services, including the ability to create services from ArcSDE geodatabases for use in ArcGIS Online.
- Designing GIS data structures to support project needs and for use in conjunction with ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online.
- Experience with SolarWinds, ArcGIS Monitor or other system monitoring tools
- Experience with ESRI's Utility Network
- Python scripting using the ArcPy library in the utility sector
- Working in a multi-user/versioned ArcGIS SDE database environment.
- ArcGIS Online system maintenance and administration including user and group management.
- Creating feature layers, web maps and apps in ArcGIS Online.
- Experience with configuring and deploying Survey123, Quick Capture, and Experience Builder Applications
Knowledge & Skills
The ideal candidate would thrive in an environment that requires the ability to both collaborate/work with a team on large work efforts. Additionally, they would have the following skills:
- Working knowledge of windows server technology, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), Transport Layer Security (TLS), ESRI ArcServer architecture, secure network protocols and standards as well as web development technologies for utilities
- Experience with the Full ESRI Suite of applicaitons
- Strong communication skills
- Experience within creating visual documentation that details technical concepts
***Studies have shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet all listed qualifications. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one from a less traditional background. If you have transferable skills and experience, please tell us about them.***
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
This recruitment is being managed by Kye Merritt. If you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with them on LinkedIn.
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At the City of Tacoma, we're on a mission to make our workforce as diverse and inclusive as the community we serve. We're committed to eliminating racial and other disparities, and we actively seek out candidates from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. Join our team at the City of Tacoma and help us build a more vibrant, inclusive, and equitable community for all.
Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 180,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable, walkable cities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town. We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny:
Interested individuals should apply online. Please attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, questions regarding this job announcement, or if you are experiencing complications while applying, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400 by 4:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement. This will allow us to assist you before the job announcement closes.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: 9/25/2023 5:00 PM Pacific