Field Engineer (DWM – OLIO – Operations)
Posting expires: September 20, 2023
Salary commensurate with experience
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City's infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
General Description and Classification Standards
The purpose of the Field Engineer position is to perform and oversee site inspections and investigations for water distribution system and/or wastewater collection and conveyance system infrastructure. Work may also include, monitoring construction projects, interpreting construction plans, preparing and maintaining records, troubleshooting and other problem-solving related efforts associated with City of Atlanta water distribution and sewer infrastructure. May operate hand and power tools.
This is an experienced professional capable of carrying out most assignments with limited guidance and/or general review. This position requires extensive knowledge of water distribution and sewer operations and customer relations as related to the job practices, policies, and procedures.
Performs work under general supervision with regular review and advice from a manager or senior-level professional. Normally receives guidance regarding overall mission, scheduling, problem solving, unique priorities, etc.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Performs field investigations, research and respond to water distribution system and wastewater collection system-related issues in an efficient and timely manner.
- Responds to water and/or sewer-related customer service requests or complaints as detailed on work orders. Contacting customers and make on-site investigations to determine the extent of the problem, determining actions necessary to resolve the problem and following up with the parties responsible for resolving the problem until the work order is closed out.
- Uses independent judgment and discretion in the handling of emergency situations, setting priorities maintaining standards, and resolving problems. Excellent skills in promptly communicating proposed actions and updates to supervisors and senior management.
- Must be able to read, understand and interpret maps, engineering plans, schematic drawings, calculations, work orders and other related materials to generally locate underground utilities.
- Must be able to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear and effective manner.
- Works with office staff to create and forward all necessary work orders over to its area of responsibility for resolution.
- Conducts inspection/investigation of linear infrastructure construction projects, including capital projects and preventative reactive maintenance projects.
- Documents field findings, conditions, and activities related to customer service work orders. Prepares site investigation reports.
- Provides effective communication with citizens, developers, contractors, plumbers, etc. and other internal DWM staff.
- Provides quality customer service through thorough inspection, investigation, and communication with citizens and internal/external stakeholders regarding water and wastewater complaints and related matters.
- May work as part of a team to inspect, maintain and operate water mains and associated appurtenances and/or sewer conveyance systems and appurtenances
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive or all-inclusive list.
- Knowledge: Must be able to quickly obtain knowledge of department policies and procedures and applicable industry standards. Possess an in-depth knowledgeof the principles, practices and procedures and construction techniques as it pertains to buried water/wastewater-related infrastructure and general construction site safety. Detailed knowledge of the methods, products, tools and equipment used in water/wastewater maintenance and construction work; Must be knowledgeable and proficient with computers.
- Skill: Skill in performing all typical tasks associated observation of construction activities and maintenance of buried water/wastewater infrastructure; Skill in utilizing construction and maintenance tools and equipment to inspect, investigate and troubleshoot various infrastructure issues. Has the mathematical ability to handle required calculations.
- Ability: Ability to understand, interpret and apply pertinent policies, procedures and regulations; ability to investigate water and/or sewer related issues, determine actions necessary to resolve such issues; ability to perform maintenance and troubleshooting activities involving skills in the functional fields to which assigned; prepare written and computer based daily logs, activity sheets, project sketches, reports and other supporting documentation; Ability to communicate diplomatically and effectively both verbally and written. Ability to manage conflict and/or concerns of the general public. Ability adapt to changes in work environment.
Minimum Qualifications - Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- 7 years of construction and/or maintenance of water facilities experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job
- Ability to read, understand and interpret construction drawings, sketches, specifications and engineering reports and the ability to make basic field-related engineering computations.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree (BS) in Civil Engineering or related field of study.
- 10 years of construction and/or maintenance of water facilities experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Required Licenses & Certificates:
- Water Distribution Operator license or Wastewater Collection System Operator license is required for employment.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting (up to 100 lbs), and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job. Ability to stand, crawl, function in a confined or restricted space.
City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-09-20