ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN II
Land Surveying and Mapping Unit (Position Code 0338)
In support of Valley Water's mission to provide flood protection and watershed stewardship services to Santa Clara County, the Engineering Technician II position will help conduct field investigation and assessment activities along streams, levees, and maintenance roads, and perform corresponding data collection and mapping using GPS tools and GIS software programs. The position will help prepare work orders for field crews, and reports on work performed for Valley Water's assets. The position will also provide support to internal and external customer requests via Valley Water's Access Valley Water (AVW) communications system. The position will work with field operations administrators, engineering technicians, engineers, and biologists, among others.
Key Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare engineering maps, drawings, diagrams, and other technical documents and materials.
- Prepare a variety of visual graphics and display materials.
- Perform responsible technical engineering support work with accuracy, speed, and minimal supervision.
Ideal Candidate's Background includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to conceptualize 3D surfaces, build Plan and Profiles, calculate surface quantities, and to effectively manage smaller civil projects with minimal supervision.
- Utilize tools, equipment and materials safely as related to assigned work.
- Ability to use common desktop application and CADD software.
- Conduct field surveys, inspections and investigations to obtain and verify water resources, and engineering data.
Principles and practices of computer-aided drafting; mathematics associated with drafting, best practices for office procedures methods and equipment and applications related to the work.
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by twelve (12) college semester units in engineering, geography, and mathematics.
Two (2) years of responsible technical engineering support experience.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license.
Autodesk Certified Civil 3D user certificate, and Survey, preferred.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click here
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following:application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above.Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE:Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities.Please advise the Office of Talent and Inclusion in advance of any special needs by calling 1-408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned.The Office of Talent and Inclusion staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
Closing Date/Time: 10/19/2020 11:59 PM Pacific