EMS/ADMS SCADA Analyst Manager (QA Admin – Control Engineering)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus five (5) year's experience in a field related to energy industry and/or electric utility industry experience or Information Technology (IT) or Industrial Control System ( ICS ) design or control system operations including two (2) years in a supervisory or lead capacity.
- May substitute up to four (4) years of education with experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The Control Engineering workgroup performs as the Operations Technology (OT) group for Austin Energy's Transmission & Distribution organization (Electric System - Engineering and Technical Services Division). They perform system and network administration, data engineering, display maintenance, and system upgrade services of the mission critical systems used by T&D Operations to monitor and control the Transmission and Distribution power grids and track power outages.
The SCADA EMS ADMS Analyst Manager will be managing the QA Admin group, providing real time operational support for SCADA / EMS and ADMS systems at Austin Energy. On call support for 24/7 coverage is required to ensure that the critical SCADA / EMS and ADMS systems used by System Control Center operators are reliable and accurate. The position will also perform NERC / CIP regulatory compliance activities and provide technical support for maintenance such as field upgrades, system upgrades, and repairs to SCADA / EMS and ADMS systems. This position expects independent action under limited supervision. This job posting will contain a high level of technology knowledge with regulatory impacts.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
Fair Labor Standards Act:
This position is considered FLSA Exempt. Exempt employees are salaried and, except as provided, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
$47.75 - $62.07
Monday - Friday, 40 Hours
Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
Job Close Date 12/04/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 2500 Montopolis Dr
The following Preferred Qualification are Considered Critical Preferred Qualifications:
Experience working within a Control Engineering Department or ICS Department specifically in Electric utility environment Experience with EMS and ADMS systems infrastructure Experience with Palo Alto Firewall system infrastructure Experience with CISCO ACI Network systems infrastructure Experience Managing a Team 5+ plus employees Experience with NERC / CIP Audits Experience with ISO9001 standards Experience with computer scripting languages, such as Python or Powershell Experience and High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Access and Visio Experience with Compliance audit experience ensuring NERC / CIP (North American Electric Reliability Council), ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) and PUCT (Texas Public Utility Commission) standards and regulatory requirements are implemented at each substation and within SCADA Tech group. Ability to travel to more than work locations.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Manages, trains, and evaluates staff performance to accomplish tasks and established objectives and leads staff that supports 24/7 real-time control system to ensures compliance with City of Austin personnel, security, and department procedures. Manages all customer relationships keeping customers informed about status of all work related to ICS and their network and system infrastructures. Leads technical discussions on complex system issues, making recommendations and suggestions to management and users. Monitors datacenters and control centers for identifying and addressing emerging problems including purchasing of equipment for resolution and acts as technical SME for technology upgrades in datacenters. Manages regulatory compliance implementation for ICS (Industrial Control Systems), coordinates daily compliance tasks, and takes a lead role in compliance audits. Coordinates with other workgroups for compliance related activities. Oversees the development, review, and approval of written policies and procedures necessary for compliance. Monitors system performance and Manages team's resources to adequately staff multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines Reviews current and future requirements from business and technical needs assessments, participates in budgetary planning discussions for Control Engineering and Assists with developing short and long-range business plans for ICS (Industrial Control Systems). Manages training for team members and stakeholders for all ICS and related systems. Leads cross-functional teams in attempting to ensure enterprise-wide compliance. Assists work groups with systems development, implementation, integration, and analysis. Ensures disaster recovery is in place for SCADA / EMS / ADMS critical systems and associated subsystems.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the North American Electric Reliability Council ( NERC ), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission ( FERC ), and the Electric Reliability Council of Texas ( ERCOT ) and the requirements imposed by these entities.
- Knowledge of Unix or Linux OS.
- Knowledge of hardware, software, and network infrastructure including the TCP /IP Network and the 7 Layer OSI Model.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite application, Windows OS Servers, and Client.
- Knowledge of third-party software tools and Virtualization technology.
- Knowledge of system health monitoring and backup technology.
- Knowledge of International Organization for Standardization ( ISO ) quality management systems requirements.
- Knowledge of National Institute of Standards and Technology ( NIST ) cyber security framework.
- Knowledge of utility financial practices, including budget preparation, financial, regulatory and managerial accounting practices.
- Ability to direct NERC / CIP Critical Infrastructure protection ( CIP ) Standard compliance program.
- Ability to direct the timely production of project proposals and agreements.
- Ability to coordinate systems testing of specification requirements.
- Ability to perform objective analyses and re-engineering of business processes to maximize quality service and cost-effectiveness.
- Ability to utilize scripting and programming to automate routine tasks.
- Skill in using SQL databases.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus five (5) year's experience in a field related to energy industry and/or electric utility industry experience or Information Technology (IT) or Industrial Control System (ICS) design or control system operations including two (2) years in a supervisory or lead capacity. May substitute up to four (4) years of education with experience. Do you meet this requirement
* This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
* Describe your experience working with SCADA EMS Systems.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your lead or supervisory experience in an administrative environment including hiring, training, assigning work, counseling and evaluating employee performance. Include the largest number of employees you were directly responsible for managing and your title at the time.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your knowledge and experience as it relates to ADMS System and implementing new systems or upgrades.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your knowledge and experience working with CISCO Network infrastructure.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your knowledge and experience working with Palo Alto Firewalls Infrastructure?
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your knowledge and experience as it relates to NERC CIP compliance.
(Open Ended Question)
* Indicate your highest skill level in Microsoft Word.
- Beginner: skill level includes creating/editing/saving files, applying text formatting, using templates, using spell checks, inserting date/time, etc.
- Intermediate: skill level includes formatting pages/sections, margins, tabs, outlines and headers/footers, inserting text boxes, tables and graphs, tracking changes, inserting hyperlinks, protecting documents, etc.
- Advanced: skill level includes using mail merge, creating forms, footnotes and headers, superscripts/subscripts, etc.
- Expert: skill level includes creating index/concordance, line drawings and macros, importing/exporting files, etc.
- None of the above
* Do you have the ability to travel to more than one work location?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents