At Vetsource, we are on a bold mission to improve the lives of pets by enabling veterinarians to provide better care. We have a big vision; one that is driven by data. You can help shape this vision by joining the Data Engineering Team and enabling us to build better products so veterinarians can provide better service and pet parents can get the care they need for their pets.
We are going big with big data. Data powers our products and services, enables key business decisions, aids veterinary hospitals, and plays an important role in our product development. As you can see in the image below, Vetsource is deeply integrated with a number of data sources and transforms that data into actionable insights.
So where do you come in? We need you to further make this dream a reality. We are looking for talented individuals who contribute to the vision depicted in the image above. You are someone who specializes in at least one aspect of data, whether it's ETL, cloud storage, big data services, or any key technology that helps make lots of data useful. You tell us about your passion and skills and where you fit, and we will make this happen together!
Responsibilities: As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will be responsible for some or all of the following:
- Work with our CTO to create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture and documentation.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using 'big data' technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing 'big data' data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or relevant experience. Below is a list of the type of tech we use, though we don't expect you to have experience in all of it:
- Big data tools: Hadoop, Storm, Cassandra, etc.
- Relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres, MySQL, MSSQL.
- Data pipeline and workflow management tools such as Google Cloud Dataflow
- Cloud services: AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery, etc
- Stream-processing systems: Kafka, Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.