Assistant Engineer/Associate Civil Engineer for the City of Soledad
Assistant/Associate Civil Engineer
$6,381.98 - $10,198.98/month DOQ/DOE
9/80 work schedule
Are you a professional with working knowledge of civil engineering, including planning, designing, and implementing maintenance and operations projects? Do you value working in an organization that promotes growth and innovation? Are you ready to be part of a high functioning team? If so, the City of Soledad (City) welcomes your application.
Assistant Civil Engineer - This is the entry-level class in the professional engineering series that learns to and performs a broad spectrum of the City's engineering activities and functions, including routine project responsibilities.
Associate Civil Engineer - This is the full journey-level class in the professional engineering series, with responsibilities spanning the entire spectrum of the City's engineering function.
Regional Government Services and its staff are conducting the recruitment on behalf of the City of Soledad.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Will have knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering, project management, and a thorough understanding of applicable state, federal, and local laws, codes, regulations, and procedures.
- Plan, design, and inspect all phases of civil engineering public works construction projects, including defining the scope of the project, securing funding, and coordinating with other stakeholders.
- Will be an individual who is accountable, ethical, self-motivated, friendly, adaptable, and comfortable working in a dynamic and team-oriented environment.
- Will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, communicating in an approachable and responsive manner.
- Will collaborate effectively with stakeholders and leverage available resources to provide exceptional customer service.
- Will have a strong work ethic with the ability to establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships both internally and externally.
- Adaptability and Flexibility - Responds effectively to multiple demands, ambiguity, shifting of priorities, emerging situations, and rapid change
- Accountability - Takes responsibility for the decisions and actions of their teams and direct reports when appropriate
- Attention to Detail - Guides the team to accomplish tasks with thoroughness and accuracy
- Analytical Thinking - Identifies diverse solutions to complex problemsintegrating findings from several different disciplines; identifies and evaluates the various options developed and selects the most effective solution
- Collaboration - Fosters staff and stakeholder communication and dialogue; identifies opportunities to building consensus for options, decisions, and outcomes
- Communication - Exchanges information with constituents using oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Decision Making - Takes actions that are consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Initiative - Identifies and takes action to address problems and opportunities
- Leadership - Understands formal and informal power and influence structure within the organization and successfully achieves positive, desired outcomes
- Results Orientation and Execution - Translates objectives into action plans, including identifying task interdependencies
- Safety - Works to comply with safety regulations and helps to promote safety consciousness and well-being
- Teamwork - Works collaboratively with others in order to achieve a goal
- Time Management and Organization - Develops contingency plans for potential problems
About the City
Soledad is a city in Monterey County with a population of approximately 19,000. Nestled between the beautiful Santa Lucia Mountains to the west and the picturesque Gabilan Mountains to the east, Soledad's origins started with Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad which was founded in 1791. Development and growth continued its rich history until eventually incorporating as a city in 1921. Today, Soledad is a notable tourist destination, owing to its proximity to Pinnacles National Park, a California Mission, and the Santa Lucia Highlands wine country. Soledad is surrounded by the Salinas Valley's booming agricultural community, home to fields of lettuce, broccoli, and asparagus, as well as row upon row on some of the finest wine grapes in the state.
The City of Soledad continues to be a model of economic vitality and resilience through the implementation of infrastructure improvements to city parks, roads, schools, and water treatment systems. Renewable energy, water reclamation, and downtown revitalization are at the heart of our mission to provide a sustainable future for our residents, businesses, and visitors.
Since the early 2000's, the City of Soledad has played a major role in fostering and increasing much-needed units of affordable housing to support the diverse needs of Monterey County's growing workforce. Since 2015, the city has been working closely with developers to add single family and multi-family housing to areas approved for development before 2008. This housing development boom is increasing economic development opportunities for small businesses, franchise businesses, service providers, medical facilities, entertainment venues, and large retailers who seek to expand to an untapped market.
Examples of Duties
For a detailed overview of responsibilities, click here.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Assistant Engineer: One (1) year of professional engineering design, plan review, and project administration experience, preferably in a public agency setting.
- Associate Civil Engineer: Three (3) years of professional engineering design, plan review, and project administration experience, preferably in a public agency setting. Possession of a master's degree is desirable.
- Assistant Engineer and Associate Civil Engineer: Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or a related engineering field. Bilingual, Spanish/English is preferred .
- Assistant Engineer: Engineer-In-Training License issued by the State of California.
- Associate Civil Engineer: Registered Professional Civil Engineer license in the State of California.
$6,381.98 - $10,198.98/month DOQ/DOE
9/80 work schedule
- Modified Work Schedule - City offers 9/80 work schedule.
- Vacation - Ten (10) days per calendar year
- Sick Leave - Twelve (12) days per calendar year
- Holidays - Eleven (11) paid holidays, and one (1) floating holiday
- 40 hours of Paid Administrative Leave
- Cell phone and tablet/laptop offered to employees
- Insurance - City provides comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits for the employee and their dependents. Employee participates in premium cost. In addition, City pays the full premium for Long Term Disability, Life and AD&D Insurance.
- Retirement - City participates in the CalPERS Retirement System. 2% at 60 for Classic Members and 2% at 62 for New CalPERS Members.
- Social Security - City participates in Social Security Program
APPLICATION PROCESS AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Applications must be submitted on-line through this applicant tracking system. Materials must be complete and clearly indicate the candidate meets the minimum qualifications.
Incomplete, late, emailed, and faxed applications are not accepted. Resumes are not considered in lieu of the required employment application.
Certificates, resumes, and/or cover letters must be uploaded with your application through this applicant tracking system.
All statements made on the application, resume, and supplemental materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for immediate disqualification, removal from eligibility list, or discharge from employment.
The first review of applications is November 17, 2023.
Appraisal Process - (Pass/Fail) After the closing deadline, applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement.
This process may also include various interviews and/or a skills assessment exam to rank applications, and to prepare a Qualified Candidate List.
Application - Minimum Qualification Assessment - (Pass/Fail) All completed applications and supplemental questionnaires will be reviewed and assessed for each applicant's ability to meet the minimum work experience, training, and education qualifications.
Remote Screen Interview Exam - (Pass/Fail) Candidates who pass the application assessment will be invited to a Remote Screen Interview Examination to evaluate training, experience, and other job-related qualifications for the position. The Remote Screen Interview will be conducted via a video conference platform and is tentatively scheduled for early-December.
Successful candidates will be submitted to the City of Soledad for further consideration.
All communication and notices will be sent via e-mail. Additional inquiries about the position may be directed to email@example.com.
Neither Regional Government Services nor the City of Soledad are responsible for failure of internet forms or email in submitting your application. Candidates who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Regional Government Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
The City of Soledad is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: 11/27/2023 11:59 PM Pacific