Assistant Civil Engineer (Asst CE)
Are you interested in working on progressive projects that support infrastructure in Seattle communities? Are you passionate about equitable service delivery and contributing to environmental and community centered engineering projects? If so, Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is looking for an Assistant Civil Engineer to join the CIP Design Section of SPU's Project Delivery and Engineering Branch. This role will primarily support the delivery of Water capital improvement projects (CIP) with occasional support work for the Drainage & Wastewater and Solid Waste Lines of Business
The Assistant Civil Engineer position will provide and coordinate utility design with other staff and will work on moderately complex utility projects in a diverse team environment. The roles and responsibilities of this position vary based on the project and business needs. Work in this position will be performed primarily in an office setting with occasional fieldwork.
If this exciting opportunity interests you, please continue reading and APPLY!
About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a community-centered utility that delivers vital services to Seattle residents and businesses including drinking water, drainage and wastewater, and garbage/recycling/compost. SPU also provides drinking water for 1.5 million customers in the region. SPU's work includes system maintenance and improvements and keeping Seattle clean. Over 1,400 SPU employees work with our community to provide affordable and equitable stewardship of our water and waste resources for future generations.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), check out the:
- SPU Website
- SPU Workplace Expectations (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join our team?
We know work isn't only about what you do, it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free Orca Pass
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
Here is some of what you might be doing in this role:
- Prepare reports, technical specifications, engineer's estimates, and design drawings using sound engineering principles, standard practices and procedures of civil engineering, SPU's Design Standards and Guidelines, and Cost Estimating Guidelines.
- Provide engineering services in support of the water system during different project phases (Planning, Option Analysis, Design, and Construction phases).
- Provide construction support including reviewing submittals, attending meetings, and visiting job sites.
- Coordinate with other City departments or outside agencies related to SPU's water system.
- Conduct records research, field visits and conditional assessments of utility assets.
- Work as a member of the project team, actively and effectively communicating with team members and other SPU branches, City departments, and external agencies.
- Review consultant utility designs to ensure they adhere to SPU's design standards.
- Coordinate and manage technical review comments from multi-disciplinary teams including SPU designers, SPU stakeholders (such as field operations and maintenance) and consultant designers.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology; or other combinations of education and/or experience which provides preparation to do professional civil engineering work.
The Ideal Candidate Profile
- EIT certification in the State of Washington
- Experience emphasis on drainage, wastewater, structural, and water system engineering.
License, Certification, and Other Requirements:
- Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment.
- Field assignments may entail exposure to all types of weather, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances, and work in or near construction sites.
- May occasionally be required to lift over 50 pounds.
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation):
- This position allows for the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Employees will be required to come into the office twice per week. Individual schedules will be agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor.
Who may apply:
- The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Recruiter Contact: For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact: Danielle Sheridan at firstname.lastname@example.org
The full salary range for this position is $37.98-41.06 hourly.
- The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents .
- More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
- A full City of Seattle online application
- Resume and Cover letter addressing your knowledge and experience related to this position.
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at www.seattle.gov/util/ and check us out on social media.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 11/28/2023 4:00 PM Pacific