Assistant Civil Engineer
Under general supervision, to perform professional engineering duties in connection with the planning, design, construction and maintenance of highways, bridges, land development and other public works projects.
EXAMINATION DATES: Candidates who meet the employment standards will be invited to take a written examination, that will be conducted online through a secure third party, tentatively scheduled for week of June 19, 2023. Qualifying candidates will be notified with examination instructions via the email address included on their application.
COVID-19 Risk Tier - Low Risk
- Performs drafting, computing, research report writing, checking of plans, direction of field operations involved in the gathering and compiling of data for the planning, design, and construction of a variety of projects;
- Assists in the planning for and design of new or, improvements to, existing roads, structures, land development and other projects, by preparing plans, profiles, cross sections, making quantity estimates, computing stresses and strains, and performing other professional engineering tasks;
- May direct a survey party when assigned a project;
- Prepares and reviews maps, right of way deeds and legal descriptions;
- May inspect the construction of projects;
- May make field tests and samples for laboratory tests of materials;
- Writes engineering specifications;
- Makes economic cost and quantity estimates;
- Checks plans for engineering accuracy and adequacy;
- And performs related work as required.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with major work in civil engineering or possession of a valid Engineer-In-Training Certificate, and two years of experience in professional civil engineering.
- The principles and practices of civil engineering;
- Principles of engineering design as related to public works projects;
- Engineering mathematics and its application to engineering problems, stress analysis, mechanics, and properties of materials;
- Construction methods and equipment, and inspection needed to review such work;
- Engineering economics and real property descriptions;
- Civil engineering drafting and mapping.
- Perform professional engineering work of average scope in the planning and design of public works projects, and in special engineering studies and review;
- Prepare neat and accurate maps, drawings, notes and reports;
- Make difficult mathematical calculations;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Benefit and Retirement information may vary from bargaining unit to bargaining unit.Due to changes in State Law, current pension provisions described in the union contracts are not automatically applied. Specific pension benefits for new hires who start on or after January 1, 2013 may be different than indicated in the union contracts.
Click hereto access all Memoranda of Understanding and most recent Summary of Changes.
Closing Date/Time: 6/6/2023 11:59 PM Pacific